About James Bond: Background History
James Bond in Cold War context
– Touching on preexisting fears?
Lecture focus on Bond movies in relation to:
- How realistic is the portrayal of espionage in the movies?
- What role did espionage really play during the Cold War?
- Are there case studies of some now known spies?
– Political Relations
- Are the shifting political relationships between countries during the Cold War reflected in the movies?
- How so? Through stereotypes?
- What role does it play?
- Which gadgets are there and how realistic are they?
– Gender Roles
- Do they change as more movies are made?
- How can the sexual references and scantily clad women be reconciled with the conservative 1950s and 1960s?
- Do women have an active role in the films or are they just pretty faces?
– Popular Culture
- How were the films viewed when they first came out?
- How do we see them today?